Just because we are adults doesn’t mean we can’t have fun anymore, and drinking can always be fun. Drinking games start in college and continue to advance the older we get.
One of them is Fives/Fingers, depending on where you are located as to what it is called. Here you’ll get the rules to play the game and have some fun at your next backyard/basement party.
And, as always, please drink responsibly and ensure that if you are going to need to go home, have a designated driver or call a cab/Lyft/Uber. Better safe than sorry no matter how much or how little you drank. Now back to the fun.
What You Need to Play
Obviously, you need people. At least 3 people would work but the more the merrier.
Alcohol. Preferably beer because if you are going to be downing a drink liquor could be a little too much. However, you could play this game with shots as well. Either way you can have fun.
There are a few different ways to play this game. We’ll give you two different options here (the reason why it’s called fives or fingers, there are different modalities) and you can choose which one works better for your group.
Option 1 – Fives
- With a group of people sit in a circle.
- Outstretch both your arms and make a fist with both hands.
- The first person will go and guess how many fingers will be held up in multiples of 5 (each person must either leave a fist, throw out one or both hands). These two actions are done simultaneously.
- If the person guessed correctly the numbers of fingers that are thrown out is out of the game.
- If you guess incorrectly you take a drink (or a shot) and continue to play.
- Play goes until everyone is out and the last person must take 5 fingers of their drink (or shots, whatever you decide on).
Option 2 – Fingers
- This game is best played with a pitcher of beer which will start out full and remain in the center of the table.
- Grab your group of friends and sit in a circle.
- From the pitcher in the middle of the table pour a drink for everyone (doesn’t have to be a large drink).
- Everyone in the circle places a finger on top of their glass (except for the first person to go).
- Count how many people you have; this is very important.
- The first person to go will call out a number form 0 to the number of players (excluding the one guessing). At the same time the other players will either keep their finger on their glass or take it off.
- If you guess correctly you are out of the game. But there is a catch! To truly be out of the game, as you walk away from the table you must give thanks to the group for playing fingers with you. This could be and should be something crazy like, “it was a pleasure to play fingers with you tonight. Thank you“. And you cannot laugh. If you laugh you must drink and get back in the game.
- If you guess incorrectly you take a drink and stay in the game.
- This goes on until there is only one person left, and this person must then finish the contents of the pitcher.
These games can be very easy and fun to play with any group of friends. It can be played anywhere with the ease of some beer and some cups. Have fun and remember to drink responsibly.
A fun night can remain that way so plan accordingly.